May 1940: The Zuid Ginkel inn and three fallen Hussars
Several Hussars (soldiers on bicycles and horses) were stationed in the barracks in Ede in May 1940. When the Germans invaded the Netherlands in the night of 10 May 1940, their job was to buy as much time as possible so that the main defence on the Grebbe line could be set up.
The German advance guard arrived at Ginkel Heath at the end of the afternoon, comprising motorcyclists, five armoured vehicles and six anti-tank guns. A patrol of four Hussars took up their position at the Zuid Ginkel inn (Herberg Zuid Ginkel). Cornet Count van Limburg Stirum had his troops fire at the Germans from the top floor with light machine guns. The Germans stopped.
The cornet decided to withdraw according to orders. Suddenly, German motorcyclists approached the inn from the Wijde Veldweg road. They had driven to the sheep pen under cover of the row of trees along the sheep pasture. To give his men the opportunity to get away, the cornet fired at the Germans with the light machine gun.
After running out of ammunition, he gave up and surrendered. He was shot at the front door without a second thought. Corporal Bonkerk and Hussar Dijkers met the same fate at the side door. Inside, the innkeeper Kramer hid the fourth man, Hussar Kuperus.
Shortly thereafter, the area surrounding the inn came under Dutch artillery fire. The Germans headed in the direction of Planken Wambuis. Hussar Kuperus saw an opportunity to escape via Kreelscheweg by bicycle, dressed in civilian clothes, and reach his unit in De Klomp.
The Zuid Ginkel inn, then & now
Not much is known about the history of the Zuid Ginkel inn, or the area known as De Ginkel. According to the land register, the current building was built in 1857– 1858.
Although the land register lists only heath prior to 1857, an old topographical map shows that a farm called ‘Ginkel’ existed a few dozen meters to the west. Former municipal archivist Jacob Das mentioned the existence of this map in two letters (1977 and 1982). This Ginkel farm also regularly appears in the archives from 1682 onward. This might explain why the current building is called ‘Zuid Ginkel’ (‘South Ginkel’). The Ginkel estate was a ‘wild and empty’ area in those days; the woods found there today are much younger. (source and more info: Ede municipal archives)