May 1940: Place of refuge
In May 1940, during the first weeks of the Second World War, 25 families from Lunteren stayed at Scheleberg. They had fled from the fighting on the front line at the western edge of Lunteren.
1942: The NSB at Scheleberg
In 1942, the National Socialist Training Academy of the NSB (the Dutch Nazi Party) was established at Scheleberg. This led to a concentration of NSB buildings and sites at the eastern edge of Lunteren, with the most important location being the open-air meeting venue at De Goudsberg. Tens of thousands of NSB members came together here before and at the start of the war. The remains of this site are 2 kilometres away and are known as ‘Mussert’s Wall’ (Mussert was the leader of the NSB).
Many NSB activities took place at Scheleberg during the war, including those of the Dutch Labour Service (a conscript labour organisation), a training programme for NSB mayors and camps of the National Socialist Women’s Organisation.
March 1945: Luftwaffe troops quartered at Scheleberg
Towards the end of the war, a paratrooper department of the Luftwaffe (the German air force) was quartered at Scheleberg. On 20 March 1945, Rijk Jan Ploeg was delivering food supplies when he heard shots, and saw two Germans and two people lying on the ground who were then buried. He had witnessed the murder of Arie van Es (23) and Willem Vliegenthart (29). The two victims had been picked up during a raid in Benschop and were being taken to a camp by train. The train came under attack, Arie and Willem were able to escape and wandered through the woods, until they once again fell into the hands of the Germans…
April 1945 and after the war
Lunteren was liberated on 16 April 1945, after which the holiday camp building was temporarily used by the Canadians. After the war, the building once again served as a trade union building and hosted conferences. Today, it accommodates a range of facilities, including conference rooms and a restaurant.
Do you want to experience this story in its original location? Then visit the information panel between junction 79 and 80 At the intersection Immenweg / Lunterse Bosweg.